Processing a Deed Poll in Jamaica from the Diaspora

Changing a name in Jamaica, from in the Diaspora.

Getting started

With many countries drawing a harder line on immigrants and immigration, it is important that if you are a Jamaican in the Diaspora, your documentation is correct. The Registrar General’s Department (RGD) in Jamaica is the entity responsible for all “vital events” – which simply means births, marriages, deaths, deed polls and other similar or related events.

Mangoerrands has an assigned attorney that assists you in the back and forth necessary to get your deed poll prepared and returned to you wherever in the world you are.


What is a Deed Poll?

Deed Poll is a legal document that allows an individual to assume a new name and provides documentary evidence of the name change. Depending on the reason for the change, it can be quite simple and straightforward, or it may be complex.


How long does it take to process?

Processing a Deed Poll in Jamaica while overseas typically takes 4 to 6 weeks, including the shipping of documents between countries, depending on the case.

What do I need?

This is not exhaustive, but depending on the name change that is needed, you may be required to send one or both of the following:

(i) A certified copy of your Birth Certificate

(ii) A certified copy of your Marriage Certificate

Additionally, you will need to have a draft copy of the Deed Poll (done by the RGD) signed by you before a Notary Public or Justice of the Peace. Once that is done then you’re required to take the document to the Stamp Duty and Transfer Tax department to be stamped after which you’ll then return to the RGD for it to be officially recorded.


Prices include G.C.T. Dismiss